Owner/Creator:Anita Knits

Saturday, May 28, 2011

A new Challenge

I'm soo scared!  Seriously!

I am challenging myself physically once again.  May 5, 2010 I started running.  I couldn't even run 1 minute - yup... not even a minute.  The reason I started running was because I wanted to try something I've always wanted to do (but NEVER thought I could do) and to help me loose weight.

I really can't believe I've made it this far.. it is all very surreal to me.  Seems like everyone else has faith in me...telling me "you will be running a 5k in no time.. you'll run faster next time".   Then came my challenge of running 10k.. I missed the race I was working towards back at the beginning of this month, but I have continued to train.  I can run 10k but I haven't officially raced in a 10k, I have my eye on one in June that I am planning on running.

Then everyone said I'd run a 1/2 - and I just laughed at them!  Seriously 21.1k???  Not me!  Running for probably 2 hours straight - I would tell them NEVER!  The is CRAZY!  YOU are crazy!

Well...... guess what my goal is now?  Never say never.... I am starting to train for a 1/2!  I have a number of reasons why I have decided to challenge myself.  Firstly I haven't been consistent with my runs and it's because I don't have a goal.  I don't have races to work towards.  Last summer I got hooked on running because I started to loose weight and then I wanted to beat my previous race times.  Then in the fall I decided that I wanted to run a 10k (which I will run next month). 

So now I want to run a 1/2 I want to loose my last 15lb-20lbs.  Having this goal will keep me on track with a running schedule.  The other reason is I want to see if I can actually push myself to run this distance.  I am truly amazed that I can even run 5 or 10.  So to challenge myself to run 21.1k really does seem out of reach for me.  I have also been inspired by a friend that I have been running with.  Watching her push through the challenges she has faced, put in all the hard work that it takes to train for a 1/2 has been amazing to watch.  I have had the privilege of running with her too!  I am so proud of her!  I tell everyone that "I have a friend training for a 1/2" She is soo amazing!  She is actually running her 1/2 this weekend!  I am sooo very excited for her! Way to go Alyson!  You can do it!  You are inspirational to me!  Check out her blog to read about her journey and her race results!  www.proudtobeafitmom.blogspot.com

I don't really have a 'bucket list' but I do want to accomplish this for myself now, while I can.  I don't want to look back when I'm old and wonder if I could have run that distance.  So I figure now is the time!  Give it all I have ...NOW!  You may wonder how I fit in my training.. how I find the time.  Well the answer is simple and complicated: I MAKE time!  There is always something that has to be done around here, or someone has to go somewhere.  But we all need time for ourselves.  Time to realise stress, time to relax (whatever it is you find relaxing), time to just find yourself.  I also think making time for yourself is an important part of a healthy marriage.  Time apart, makes your time together that much more wonderful.  Jay sails.. I run.. that's how it goes.

Enough rambling... so there you have it.. I'm crazy.. I am training to run a 1/2 this fall.  To get you all up to speed on my training methods:  I train with the running group that I am apart of on Tuesday's and Saturday's.  Those will be my hard workouts (either hills, speed work, tempo or track workouts).  Then the other two days that I am running will be my long easy runs (haa haa I laugh at that word easy - it's really not easy for me.. but we'll go with that description!)  For my long runs I will base it on time, for example I can run for 50 minutes and I will continue to add 5 minutes and build up my endurance from there.  The kilometers will naturally increase the longer I run.  My Tuesday and Saturday work outs will increase my strength which will help me with my distance.  A great tool that I am using to log my runs is http://www.running-log.com/athlete/login  It is simple to use and it helps me to keep track of how my kilometers I am putting in each week.  Right now I am running 1hour and 10 minutes which for me equals 11.6kilometers.  My goal is to run the 1/2 straight, with no walking breaks.  (one can dream!)  I think I can do it.. NO.. I have to tell myself  YES YOU CAN DO IT!

Half the battle are the doubts in your mind!  Here I go!

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing Anita!! I can't imagine running for two hours straight!?!? I'm more at the can't run for one minute point where you were a year ago! And I'm not sure I'm about to change that! ;) But I totally agree with you about taking time for your self - I need to do that more - my self time is in my studio and your words inspired me to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.. just be nice :)