Owner/Creator:Anita Knits

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Going with my Gut...

So recently we had to make a 'family' decision, I would rather not go into the details... but we felt it was a matter of keeping our child (ren) safe. As a parent God has entrusted us with them. And he has given us our 'gut' feeling or I also believe that it's the holy spirit guiding us. I am glad I decided to go with my instinct!


As a parent we are expected to keep our children safe and to create an environment where they are safe and feel safe. My upbringing was very strict even in my teenage years. And although I didn't really appreciate what my parents were doing, I am thankful that their decisions kept me 'safe'. I don't want to be strict with our children to the point that they are not given the opporunity to experience life and to enjoy friends and family. But I do want to teach my children to be safe and be aware of the type of world we live in. I know there will come a time that I will have to trust my children and trust that we raised them right. But not right now... not at 4.5 , 3 and 18 months years old. They are just babies.


That's not to say that bad things don't happen to good people, and that's not to say that you can control and prevent any pain in your children lives. But I do believe that when they are young we can teach them what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. And to make sure that they know that they are worthy and worth to be respected.


In the end we have to put our children's well being in the hands of God.. he has a plan for them and I pray daily that he puts a hedge of protection around them. And that his angels will protect and keep harm at bay.


I am relieved with my decision and I now have peace.


I am glad I went with my gut!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! :)
    This is why we homeschool. Just another way of trying to raise our children in a safe environment! :) Not just from obvious dangers...but also to protect them from things like hearing bad language, the need to ever feel "cool", etc. :)

    You have a beautiful family! How exciting you have another on the way! I would have loved to have more children but Chris wanted to be done with three. And I am thankful for what I have! :) Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy I found your blog :) We have been struggling with this decision, but my husband thinks my son needs to go to regular school to learn more. I think the opposite. Our son just turned 4 (oh, we are also still not 100% with his potty training yet... he is being very stubborn, has his good days and then the bad ones.. one day, right?!).. :) I would love to meet other homeschool parents though and any advice you find out would be wonderful. God Bless you & your family! They are precious. Have a safe & Happy Labor Day! Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Comments welcome.. just be nice :)